04 April 2011

F A Q

a lot of people email me asking:
"bri, how did you get into blogging? how do you stay inspired"

the truth is, you aren't always inspired! some days there is nothing in that brain that seems inspirational at all! but other days make up for it. try to do research in unconventional places. browse old archives of magazines, look up vintage photographers, i like old stamps so I do a lot of research on that...go outside! look at the patterns all around you to give you ideas. the options are endless! and if you still feel blah, they geez, just blog tomorrow! it's all based on how you feel when you are first getting started!

as for how i got into blogging...i wanted a place where I could bookmark all the amazing finds in one place. so it just became an online journal or sorts. don't get into blogging just because you want advertisers money, or a ton of followers. do it for YOU! at the end of the day, you are the one that has to look at your blog all the time, so make sure it makes you happy first. would you look through your archives for inspiration? are you giving your readers something they don't see 50 other places? have you found your voice? all questions to ask yourself. whatever you do, just pour your heart into it and people will recognize it quickly.

and the fun part is, it can be anything you want! like this post of sara from a love magazine interview. i liked these two photos and made the post unique to my blog. there is nothing wrong with finding inspiration somewhere, just always be sure to add your own twist to it! or else it's just copying, which isn't that cool right? nope, it's not.

9 comments:

jacin {lovely little details} said...

so very true! i have to remind myself of this constantly.

Laura said...

Great advice, always a good reminder that your blog should make you happy!

Caroline @ Red Glasses said...

Great words! Blogging is such a mix between inspiration and discipline I find. But you always have to force yourself to go searching and look for inspiration in new places!

Bryna Faye Shields said...

this post could not have come at a more perfect time! today has been one of those "blah uninspired" days for me, but you've given a fresh perspective about how to make your blog really yours. thanks for the tips!

KathDesigns said...

Love this! As a newbie blogger and Graphic Designer trying to make a niche for my creative self,you are such an inspiration! Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Just want to thank you for reminding me about Sara Stockbridge!

Tim said...

Cool stuff.

giulia said...

I quite agree with you. Blogging means - first of all - having fun.
I started my blog writing what I wished to read

Amy said...

Love how you gather inspiration and make it your own!

I always worry about altering images because I never know if the photographer would appreciate that. I'm curious as to your views on the subject!